Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

I have a few friends and aquaintences who are desperately trying to concieve with no avail. It breaks my heart that they aren't getting what they so desperately want: a child. I hate that I can't give them what they want or heal their breaking hearts. I hate it! But, I do know a little about polycystic ovary syndrome and none of them seem to want to listen to me. I so strongly believe that diet has a lot, if not everything, to do with this issue. I am frustrated that, although I have offered resources and information to people, they will not even attempt eating paleo for 30 days. 30 days!!!! 3-0. Are you telling me, that you are so incredibly desperate for children, but you cannot possibly live without grains for 30 days? What if, just WHAT IF, eating paleo was the answer?



The only thing I can figure is that because I am not a licsenced nutritionist or OBGYN, then wasting time on something I suggest must be absolutely ridiculous to them. I mean, what the Paleo diet recommends is staying away from all grains (wheat, whey, rice, corn etc, etc) so not only is it hard at first, but it goes against all conventional medicine. I suppose when you are trying to conceive a baby with no luck, that you are quite focused and set on doing exactly what a DOCTOR says to you. Not only that, but I bet there are tons of people giving their own 2 cents about how and why and what to do. I get it. It must be frustrating. But, seriously, don't take my word for it if you don't want...there is a mound of Paleo diet research related to PCOS.



First of all, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome basically is when a woman produces an abundance of follicles every month, but does not release an egg. Darn it if we don't need those little eggs to produce a baby! It is increasing in frequency over the years. The number of cases has done nothing but rise. (*cough* More and more grains and insulin inducing foods*cough*cough*) Even most doctors and nutritionists will admit that a large part of PCOS is based on insulin resistence. Say whhhaaaattt?



Stop. Let me remind you of what in our every day diets cause spikes in insulin. *ahem*

1. Grains (including wheat, corn, rice and every by product from these)

2. Dairy (yes, for some, dairy is the devil)

3. Legumes and Tubers (Look it up)



Gasp! So it is actually the buns on your burger that is causing acne, headaches, infertility, tiredness, and other such issues. Although I never had issues getting pregnant (as I did not ever have to deal with PCOS), my face is clearer and I don't have headaches anymore. Just sayin.



Continuing on the PCOS train. Many doctors and nutristionists will perscribe a diet that, using the Glycemic Index, will cut down on high glycemic foods such as cereals, heavy breads, and pretzels. That is all well and good, but they are missing the point when they allow their patients to partake in barely, rice and soy products. All of these things still produce insulin and, for a person struggling with trying to keep insulin down, shouldn't these things be eliminated? Seriously, just have them eat Paleo. Stop being so stubborn!!



http://paleohacks.com/questions/5697/pcos-and-paleo-and-weight-loss#axzz1DORqKx6a

This is a little Q&A forum that I found. A woman is asking other Paleo eaters their opinion of the Paleo Diet while having PCOS.

Seriously, there is a myriad of information out there. I would suggest researching up and down the wahzoo especially in the Paleo department. My opinion obviously doesn't matter because, although I try and help with good intentions because the Paleo diet has made such a difference in my life, people do not even want to try.

If you have tried "everything" but not the Paleo Diet, then you really haven't tried everything, have you?

If you know me, I will be more than willing to let you borrow a few of the books we own on the Paleo Diet (highly recommend The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf). Heck, I will give you the freaking book. Just don't give up when there may be other things out there that you haven't even tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment